Thursday, August 8, 2013

Book Review ~ In Golden Splendor



Book: In Golden Splendor
Author: Michael K. Reynolds
Publisher: B&H Publishing
Publish Date: July 15, 2013

I received a copy from the publisher for an honest review. 
(Ok...ok, I jumped on the opportunity to read this one because I had read the 1st and couldn't wait to dive into the 2nd book that continues Seamus' journey. I'm a sucker for redemption stories!)

My interest in this book: 1) It's the 2nd in the series 2) The author is AMAZING at casting history 3) I couldn't wait to find out more about the lives of these characters that I've already spent so much time invested in.

Ideas expressed/message/plot: You are worthy to be used by God. Listening to and confidently resting in the whispered words, "Trust Me."

Favorite Characters, quotes/lines: Seamus was the driving force behind this story as was expected (and desired). I loved watching his journey! One of my favorite lines: "God-man." 

Often in a story there will be one scene that remains in my memory; this book has multiple; scenes that came to life, that meant something to both the character and the reader. THAT is the ultimate in experiencing a book. Well done, MKR!

When I finished this book I felt: *sigh* That was a GOOD read. It was like being drawn into an IMAX movie. So huge, so real, so beautiful. It was solid through and through, lacking nothing. I am intrigued on where the 3rd book will take us!

What this book had that the 1st didn't: all the characters had purpose beyond simply being created for a scene to create conflict or tension. (I'm thinking of the leather-man on board the ship from Flight of the Earls.) Every character was connected, real, purposeful, necessary. I was very, very pleased to see this growth in the author. :) 

Overall: I would recommend this book to any historical fiction fans, teen+. 
5 stars and definitely bookshelf worthy (but don't let it be lonely! Be sure to have Flight of the Earls right beside it!) 


No comments:

Post a Comment