Thursday, May 23, 2013

Book Review ~ All The Tea In China


Title: All the Tea in China
Author: Jane Orcutt (1960-2007)
Publisher: Revell
Date Published: 2007

Type of Book: Historical Inspirational (England/China)

I found this book at Half Price Books.

My interest in this book: The COVER! A woman and a sword--um, yes! I've always had a fascination with swordplay. Plus the back peeked my interest: "Has this saucy high-society English woman met her match?"  I loved Anna and the King and this seemed to ride a similar rail. 

Ideas expressed/message/plot: Opium Trade. Set on a boat and in the Orient.  The ideas explored are how cultures can clash "on the mission field" (she wants to be a missionary).  "What she discovers about her companion and the world beyond Britain's shores draws her into a greater quest--and deeper love--than she could have imagined." Yep; so, so true!

Favorite characters, quotes/lines: "'I wish...' he gently squeezed the fingers of my hand. 'I wish that I had asked you to dance, for then I would now have the memory of holding you in my arms'" (232). 

When I finished this book I felt: good. I really, truly enjoyed this read. 

Other books to read by this author or theme: Against the Tide, by Elizabeth Camden involves Opium Trade in the storyline. I would, however, read her first book: The Lady of Bolton Hill first. Though it can be a stand alone book, it's truly beautiful when combined with The Lady of Bolton Hill

Overall: I would recommend this book to: anyone. It has a great message about overcoming, trust and faith. 
Bookshelf worthy? I think it's a good one to have around to let friends borrow. 
I give it 3.8 stars. 




No comments:

Post a Comment