Friday, June 1, 2012

Book Review ~ The Lucky One, Nicholas Sparks

I realized the other day that--though I don't need something more to do in my life--that I should be pouring out some of what I'm pouring into myself.  I love to read. I mean, the kind of love where I finish at least 4 books a month, maybe 5 (depending on how many weekends there are. lol). I could start a book club but by the time I'm ready to move on I'd leave most people in the dust and that wouldn't be nice. Here, you can be a part of my "book club" on your own time & terms; and I would love to have you!What follows is a review of the 2nd to last book I read. I'll pick and choose from my reading list as we progress and I'll share what I think of the overall book, the author's style, the era--the basics. I would really like to hear your feedback on any and all of the books here in the review posts.With that said, here we go!

The Lucky One

Nicholas Sparks


     I know that the Lead characters are the ones that really move the story along, but you can't truly have a great story without at least one great supporting character. I mean, look at the Oscars; you always have best supporting actor/actress. In this case, it's Nana. Check out one of my favorite lines as they discuss Nana's favorite Baseball team, the Broncos:

“How're the Broncos doing?"
"Like a bunch of carrots."
"Is that bad?"
"Can carrots play baseball?"
"I guess not."
"Then you have your answer.” 
 Nicholas Sparks, The Lucky One

Ha! Her sarcasm is sprinkled like a fresh rain throughout the book. Great job, Nicholas Sparks! I am a sarcasm fan. Not that I use it often but often I am surrounded by it. Jane Austen was very sarcastic, so was Shakespeare. My husband is hilariously sarcastic (we say "lipy"). 

The pull and draw--the tension--in the story between the Lead characters is great. I really love how Sparks develops the plot line. The various aspects of each character are unique but realistic which is a great draw for us as readers to wanting to know more as well as not exactly knowing what to expect per say.

How did I feel at the end of the story? Like something was missing. My usual selection of books are "Inspirational Historical Fiction" which really means Christian fiction. I love my down time which reading provides but I also don't want to waste my time. I enjoy books that remind me of how great God is; how difficult life is for all of us and yet when we put God first our perspectives change. Jesus taught using parables; I see no reason to stop using them. So, in the end, I think I just felt like the true "redemption" piece of the story was missing, even though I liked the story.


My favorite part of the book that I think I'll add to my repertoire? The chapter set up. Each chapter is titled with a character's name in which the focus is on that main character. 

Side note: The book, of course is way better than the movie. Sadly, if I can come up with better lines for the movie than the screenwriter, then it's not very good. Many of Nicholas Sparks' books have been made into fantastic movies (The Notebook, Nights in Rodanthe, The Guardian, A Walk To Remember, Message in a Bottle).

Another good recommendation by Sparks that is different than usual? Try Three Weeks with my Brother.


Do you have any thoughts to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment