Thursday, August 15, 2013

Book Review ~ If the Shoe Fits


Book Title: If the Shoe Fits
Author: Sandra D. Bricker
Publisher: River North (Moody)
Publishing Date: May 15, 2013

My interest in this book: A couple people have recommended this book for Summer Reading so I though I'd give it a try. I love fairy tales and Chick Flicks so this seemed to fit the mold.

Ideas expressed / message / plot: This is a basic Cinderella type story with a sweet, innocent lead female,  a cruel person to taunt her along the way and a couple of handsome men thrown into the mix. Oh, don't forget the fairy Godmother.

Favorite Characters, quotes / lines: The "fairy Godmother" of the story reminds our lead that the ending of the story isn't the surprise, it's the journey that gets us there that is unknown. 

When I finished this book I felt: It was cute but I wasn't overly thrilled by or drawn in to it. It's a good, clean, simple read that wont require any extra thinking so it's a great "I'm exhausted, just entertain me" type of end of the day read. Retelling a classic story can be a challenge; in that I think you'll find people who like it or don't. If I had my pick, I'd rather spend my time reading one of Robin Jones Gunn's Glenbrook series books. Her characters are memorable and, though they are easy reads, they leave the reader with great feelings and memories. 

Overall: Disney's Cinderella has the wedding. Ever After ends with justice being served. If the Shoe Fits ends before a solid conclusion is given.  Though we all know what it will be, it would be nice to have it anyway. It was a cute read but I probably wont read it again. 

I give it 3 stars. Bookshelf worthy? You decide!

Other books to read by this author: I have one other book on my shelf by this author that I'll fit into my summer reading somewhere: In Holiday Florida.

My Glenbrook book review of Clouds by Robin Jones Gunn. 


No comments:

Post a Comment