Thursday, July 25, 2013

Book Review ~ A Noble Groom by Jody Hedlund



Book: A Noble Groom
Author: Jody Hedlund
Publisher: Bethany House
Date Published: April 2013

Type of Book: Historical Romance; Michigan 1881 (1 scene in Germany)

My interest in this book is: German Immigration. I'm so glad to see a story that involves a country other than just England & America. There were so many countries that built this nation and I am always glad to run across books that tip their hats to that. 

Ideas expressed / message / plot: God cares for you; you're valuable whether poor or rich, male or female. He's never too busy for you. Persevering through challenges in your life.

Favorite Characters: Annalisa, Carl, Uri. I really liked Carl from the first moment I met him. I like his circumstance (Innocent, facing death. The reader is drawn to root for him from the first pages.) Funny, humorous Matthias was a great addition as well.

I like that Carl is being sent to help--he has no choice but to flee--however he has no skill set that is advantageous to his new circumstances. I can picture him wanting to help but looking doe-eyed because he has no idea what to do! "You're supposed to help." "Help do what?!" Yeah, Jody, good job. It's a light-humored tension that totally puts a smile on my face. (I say light-humored because Carl is never negative or whiney. He has a lightness about him and he is a man who takes the punches of life and does his best with them, always looking out for others over himself.)

When I finished this book I felt: content. I love how Jody put just enough German in the verbiage to remind me these were German characters, not English ones. It was perfect!  Also, the family is one that I would love to have dinner with and get to know more. The last book that made me feel that way was MaryLu Tyndall's Veil of Pearls

Over all: I would recommend this book to any and all older-teen/adult historical romance lovers (due to  situational scenes; though I can say each was completely well written and placed! It's part of what made this book so real and I loved every aspect of the story!)  

I give it 4 stars. Thank you Jody for a sensational read full of culture, God's love, and very real, memorable characters that we can learn from! 

Want to know more? Take a peak at the first chapter from the book: Read an Excerpt





No comments:

Post a Comment